Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm in need. :-) My endless-towering-stacks are still there, but to my dismay, my nonfiction choices outnumber my fiction choices by something like 4 to 1. For years and years, it has been my practice to read one nonfiction, and then one fiction, and repeat. Lately I have switched that to TWO nonfiction, one fiction, and still I am in real danger of running out of suitable fiction! Alas! Dismay! Help!
I need ideas. Obviously I'm well covered for some time with nonfiction--some forty on my shelves at the moment, waiting. But my fiction choices are dwindling. I just had to consign yet another to the ash heap--Marrying Mozart, by Stephanie Gowell, which proved to have enough crude moments and not enough lovely ones to seal its fate. Most of the ones I have remaining are heavy--two Scott novels, Lorna Doone in very tiny print. Sigh. I have The Once and Future King on my couch at the moment, but am afraid--the Ambleside Advisory has some warnings about it on the site--what if I don't like it? Sigh. I have a fairly low threshold for crudity, sleaze, language, inanity . . . I guess you could say I'm picky. LOL The last novel I successfully managed nearly died a number of times--The Book of Light, by Chaim Potok, which had a few scattered vulgarities which, in a lesser book, I would simply not have tolerated.
Suggestions, anyone?

2 comments:

athena said...

ooh this is difficult--trying to come up with a list of fiction to read for someone who has probably read every good book out there. but i'm thinking maybe you could re-read some of your favourites (which is what you may have already done too). help! i need help too! LOL.

andalucy said...

I'm into YA fiction lately. Two big favorites have been Princess Academy and Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.