Sunday, September 17, 2006

Where does the time go? We've just been in our usual whirl. So much for life simplification. I think I'm not good at that. My question is always--so what goes? What do I not need? If there is anything NOT necessary I haven't found it yet, sigh.
Anyway. Just finished reading Wide as the Waters, by Benson Bobrick. Very interesting tracing of the development of the King James translation of the Bible, and how it changed and affected so much around it. Very interesting book. It took me a long time to read it. :-) This book was in the footnotes of Elder Hales' talk last October in General Conference, "Preparations for the Restoration and the Second Coming."
Then in one day I ate up the small assignment for my Mother's Education Course to read one-third of A Girl of the Limberlost. This is my third time reading it. I still love it.
Anyway, so last night I began Eve and the Choice Made in Eden by Beverly Campbell. It's a "thinking and sinking" book. I'm reading in bits so I have time to ponder and think in between. Very enlightening already.
I'm home from church this morning with two coughing kids.
I simply cannot believe that September is half over already.

3 comments:

andalucy said...

A woman in our ward thinks she prefers Wide as the Waters to Fire in the Bones. She hasn't finished either yet, but says she doesn't like Wilcox's "flowery" writing. Did you find him flowery?

Bookworm said...

No, I didn't find him flowery, exactly. To be honest, Wide as the Waters was easier to read. Wilcox was occasionaly, well, more dense or wordy,a little, um, tedious, IMO. Still I liked the LDS perspective, but I occasionally had to pinch myself to keep myself focused during Wilcox's book, and not so much with Bobrick's. Both have an invaluable place, because Bobrick discusses so much more than just Tyndale, but it was very important for me to see the "LDS application" if that makes any sense--it was one of the first historical interpretation writings by a Saint that I'd ever read.

andalucy said...

I think "dense and wordy" and "tedious" are probably what my friend meant by "flowery." Interesting. I wonder why I never found it that way. I was really pulled in by the writing. But I'm interested to read Wide as the Waters, too. I have God's Bestseller but haven't started it yet. It's supposed to be good and I think Wilcox cites it.