Monday, January 30, 2006

I am really enjoying William Zinsser's American Places. I was looking forward to it, hoping for good writing, since Zinsser's most famous book is On Writing Well. I haven't been disappointed. He has chosen several places or sites he thinks are "iconic" or part of the American mythic experience, and visits them, sharing his impressions, interviewing the people who care most about the sites (docents, guides, park rangers) and trying to make sense of the place in our American life. He has a few odd comments so far that have widened my eyes, and one oddball opinion that had me stalking about the room, muttering (he was discussing Mount Vernon and said he was glad it was in the hands of archaeologists, sociologists and historians, since they are NONJUDGMENTAL---I'm sorry, that's patently ridiculous. You find me a nonjudgmental social scientist and I'll eat my blog.) I have found myself very moved by his descriptions at times, even almost to the point of desiring to see these places myself. This is astonishing, for I am about as rooted in place as one can get. I'm a prairie girl, I love to read about other places, but prefer to stay put under my wide sky. However, I'm feeling a tug to go see the Civil Rights Memorial, Appomattox Court House, Yellowstone National Park. YELLOWSTONE? Ack! I'm a terrible tourist. LOL There's even a chapter on Disneyland, later. Haven't read that one yet. May even skip it. :-) But the next chapter I am set to read shows Zinsser's basic good taste--it's even in Kansas! Abilene! There we go. I've even BEEN there. :-) Prairie. It's all good. :-)

1 comment:

Montserrat said...

This book sounds interesting. My husband doesn't like to travel a bit. (Although he has been to Abilene - for a mechanicing class on combines - he LOVED it). Maybe I'll be able to 'visit' places through the book instead.