Thursday, July 13, 2006

Well, obviously I decided to take a summer vacation. LOL I really sort of forgot I had a blog for a while. I've been totally involved in school decisions and planning--curriculum for this year, scheduling, plans, Scouts, PE and swimming, preparing for "secondary" education at home, gifted issues, communication issues, wondering-if-I'm-crazy issues . . . the usual.
I was reading in a book and thought "I ought to put that up on my blog" so here I am. I had to recover my password and everything, as I'd forgotten it. LOL

I just began reading Mary, Martha, and Me by Camille Fronk Olson, because I needed a lift. I'm reveling in this book--this lady thinks like me, only better. :-) Here is a quote from the first chapter:

Visiting her home in New Testament Bethany, Jesus counseled the multitaskigng Martha, "One thing is needful" (Luke 10:42) Amid daily demands, high-speed agendas, and information overload that characterize our everyday lives, the Lord's reminder seems overly simple. Emotions that rotate among defeat, anxiety, guilt and arrogance become all too familiar companions in our attempt to be good disciples of Christ. Where is the balance? Where is the peace? How can "one thing" be the answer?
Through unexpected turns in life, I have often asked these questions. Just as often, I have sensed seemingly mixed messages that have added confusion. How can you be "anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of [your] own free will" (D&C 58:27) and also "be still and know that [He is] God"? (D&C 101:16) How do you apply the counsel "reduce and simplify" when Church commitments compete with home responsibilities most nights of the week? How do you choose "less" when "more" is so easily acquired and publicly applauded?
In a world that thrives on comparison and competition, our souls yearn for one needful thing to bring the weightier matters into focus and provide clear direction for our hectic schedules today and all our demanding tomorrows.



Boy, do I identify. We've had two weekends to spend together all summer, that did not have at least one Church activity or meeting--many out of town. Our family will not be together tonight--as it was not last night, nor the night before. Tomorrow may be possible, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm "spinning" as my dh calls it--but spinning in so many different directions, I'm sometimes not even sure which way is "up".
Well, free time is over. :-) Time to make dinner so dh can eat before driving to bishopric training. Maybe I'll get back on here before I forget my password next time.
One can always hope.

No comments: