Sunday, November 19, 2006

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat!

LOL. What is not yet fat is my freezer. I haven't even begun the "goodies" yet this year. Nevertheless, Christmas prep is in full swing this year. I have almost all my soap and candles done, and last night we got the rest of the kids' Christmas gifts decided on. I'll start ordering this week.

For Christmas school this year we've decided to shamelessly steal the idea from my online friend Katrina, and focus on Christmas in different countries, especially countries involved in our family history. This year it is Germany and Austria. I'll be trying to put the things we do and try here.

One fun new Christmas tradition we have is a terrific new game! My dh occasionally visits this website, Familyman Ministries, because it's by a homeschooling dad. He discovered this new game they sell there, called To Bethlehem. It is a combination of learning and thinking about the meaning of Christmas, and hilarious family fun. We laughed last night until we cried. Some of the spaces are labeled things like "Last rest stop before Bethelehem. Go flush a toilet" "You're tired. Sit on someone's lap until your next turn." Definitely a keeper! Interested? Look here.

1 comment:

Lynn DeBuhr Johnson said...

Michelle,

Do you make your own soap and candles? If so, how do you do it? We've made beeswax candles in the past, and the only soap I make is my laundry soap. I've researched making soap, but haven't gotten to actually making it yet.

I'm searching for ideas for presents. We're on a tight budget, so they are mostly homemade. Any suggestions?

Lynn Johnson
Swea City IA