Thursday, February 02, 2006

PMM and Cheery made homemade crowns from our Hands and Hearts Middle Ages activity kit. They papier-mached the crowns, then painted them and added jewels. They look very royal, I think. :-)

It's quite an interesting story, how we suddenly ended up finshing our Egypt-Biblical history course, and ended up jumping right into the Middle Ages. It's a long story. The short version is that we are using part Ambleside Online, and part Truthquest history and some other assorted things, but I had noticed how much extra work it was for my son, reading Kidnapped, for example, to follow along when we weren't doing the history. We, or I guess more properly I, had been agonizing over how to get us more fully integrated into using mostly Ambleside, but couldn't wrap my head around a way to make it work in chronological order. I fussed and stewed for weeks, then the Lord dropped the bombshell that He thought we ought to go straight into Ambleside years 5 and 3 next year, and just have a party studying whatever the kids wanted to study this spring. They picked the Middle Ages, so here we are. Not chronological, not perfect, quite a revelation, causing me some angst because it doesn't seem to fit neatly into how I ought to do things, but we are at peace and having fun. So. I need occasionally to remind myself that His plan is the perfect one!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

andalucy said...

It's o.k., Bookworm! There are no classical homeschool police out there who will come fine you for teaching history out of sequence. Well o.k., maybe Susan Wise Brown, but I won't tell her if you don't.