Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Quote of the Day:
Kindness in words creates confidence; kindness in thinking creates profoundness; kindness in giving creates love. Lao-tzu

What I am Reading Today: The Lord's Holy Days: Powerful Witnesses of Truth. My dear friend Becky told me about this book a while ago, and I'm just now getting around to reading it. It is amazing. It's connecting dots for me that I didn't even know were there. Heady stuff.

What We Are Watching . . . Again: OK. I'm really not a movie-crazed person. But all the male people in my house . . that is, everyone except me and one girl snake . . really like movies. So when I was in Nauvoo I picked up a video for them. I wanted to get them "Esther" from Liken the Scriptures, but it wasn't out yet. So I just grabbed something with boys on the front--"Follow Me, Boys", a Disney flick from the 60's with Fred MacMurray and a young Kurt Russell. OH, my. This is a truly great movie. It's based on a true story (and an out-of-print book I'm trying frantically to find) of a man who moves to a small Iowa town and begins a Scout troop to keep the boys out of mischief. He ends up marrying but being unable to have children, so he really adopts and gives his heart and soul to these boys. It shows through the years how he gave his time and love, and then at the end shows how much this was appreciated and meant--generations of boys now grown show up to honor him and what he gave to their lives. We laughed, we cried, we put it in again . . . and again. Fun Scout memories, boy hijinks, a campout that finds itself in the midst of "war games" during WWII--wow. It's like "Mr. Holland's Opus" except even more wholesome, even more self-sacrificing--and it came first! LOL They always tease me about "chick flicks" Well, this is a "guy flick" but one I love too. They just don't make them like this anymore. Highly recommended!

6 comments:

andalucy said...

thanks for the movie suggestion. i just put it at the top of our netflix queue.

we've been listening to The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit on audiobook. have you read that one? it is absolutely delightful. even my 5 yr. old loves it.

Bookworm said...

No, we haven't done that one yet, but we love all the Nesbit we can get, I'll add it to the list!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE FMB! Of course, I have adopted Fred MacMurray as an honorary grandpa. Him and Jimmy Stewart. How I love them! :)

Becky:)

Anonymous said...

We love this one too! We get it from the library whenever we can, I need to buy it. My boys love the war games. I think it should be required viewing for scoutmasters.

Amy

Bookworm said...

That's another thing they don't make like that anymore--scoutmasters. Anyone know where I can find one like that? LOL

Montserrat said...

We also really enjoy this movie. Whenever we go to town as a family Joseph always starts singing, "Follow me, girls!" so they all line up and march behind him.