Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Requiem
We got a sad phone call this morning. A few weeks ago Tallman gave his snake Copper to some good friends so he could have room for a new snake. For a picture of Copper click here. Sadly Copper hadn't done well in his new home; he'd refused to eat, and the last week or so he really began going downhill. Tallman had visited and tried to help, but Copper just wasn't responding. In our area, none of the veterinarians will treat snakes, so there wasn't really much we could try to do. This morning we found out that he died during the night. Tallman is heartbroken.
I'm sad for him, and I hate to see animals sick or hurt, and Copper was obviously ill, we just had no way to help. Tallman has a new determination, however--he told me he wants to become a veterinarian and serve in an area where few vets will treat exotic species. That way he could help make sure things like this didn't have to happen.
I once nearly drowned Copper when he bit Tallman and wouldn't let go, yet I'm sad that this had to happen. I've had upset young men on my hands all day. We suspended much of "regular" school, to read what prophets had written concerning the souls and eternal destiny of animals, and to write memorials of Copper. We plan on burying him with a commemorative garden path stone which we will make, and perhaps a donation in his name to the humane society, or a reptile treatment book donated to the public library.
It's been an eventful day. How grateful I am that we can take this time together now, that we have flexibility in our schedules. I hope Tallman can be comforted. It's odd, how much we learn from the "difficult" situations which we would probably avoid if we could. But I can see growth and thinking going on in my son that happier days just doesn't bring. Still, I wish I could make it all better.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

My condolences to all. Not a great day. :-(

I had a wonderful dog when I was younger and he died on April Fool's Day. I went out to feed him and ran back in to tell everyone he was dead. They all thought it was a joke until I broke down in tears and told them all how mean they were.

andalucy said...

Poor Copper. Poor Tallman. But you are such a great mom! It was inspiring to read about your administrations to the grieving.