Monday, October 23, 2006

You all are too nice to me, to let me vent without wanting to smack me. LOL I'm feeling much better today. The children are all feeling better, PMM is sleeping at night again (so am I) and of course all the other annoyances don't look nearly as big anymore.
I wanted to post about the books I've been reading in snatches here and there.
Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years: I heard a lot about this book some years ago, but of course couldn't find it. I found it at a library sale last year and snatched it up, where it's been languishing in the Stacks ever since. But I wanted an easy inspirational read during our Troubles and this looked OK. I picked it up. I am so glad I did! Those Delany sisters were adorable. 101 and 103 when the books were written, both died several years ago. But what a testament they have left behind. This book was remarkable. I learned more about history, felt more about discriminition, and just fell in love with these two ladies who survived so much. One was feisty, one very peaceful and forgiving; the book really showed how each sister's personality helped her deal with the challenges of discrimination. Highly recommended book!
Next, I picked up a slim little volume of Gene Stratton Porter's, The Song of the Cardinal. It brought into even sharper relief the fact that Stratton Porter was a naturalist first, author second. It is the story of a male cardinal as he grows and tries to find a mate; then the ending of the book is a farmer who loves listening and watching the cardinal pair on his land, and what happens when a man with a gun tries to shoot the birds for sport. The book then becomes a treatise on the waste of hunting a beautiful creature for no particular reason; it reminded me of the story I once heard--was it about David O. McKay?--who was tempted to shoot at a bird with a slingshot or something but decided not to. Sweet little book.
I am amusing myself right now with John Stossel's hilarious new book, Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know Is Wrong. I don't always agree with Stossel, although he delights my inner libertarian, and most of the time, he's spot on. I particulary have enjoyed the chapters on education and (sorry, honey) lawyers. (Poor dh, his profession gets picked on so much.) I'm not done yet but enjoying every minute.

No comments: