Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Montserrat wanted to know how we kept our waistlines in check with all the baking we do. Well, you haven't seen our waistlines. LOL Dh and I are not exactly in the running for Thinnest People. :-)
But, when I do Christmas baking, we each get one or two things, then I immediately pack them for the freezer. Then we make up trays and give the vast majority of it away. We started doing this long ago, when we didn't really have money to buy "real" presents. And now that things aren't so tight, I've tried a time or two to "switch" over to buying stuff, but people seem to expect the goodies now, so. :-)
Anyway, I have a lot of "big batch" recipes. I made 11 dozen Chocolate Truffle Cookies yesterday, and Saturday I will be making 14 dozen Dipped Gingersnaps.
Here is the recipe I made last Saturday:
Macy's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients:
2 c butter
2 c sugar
2 c brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 c flour
5 c old-fashioned oats
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
24 oz. chips (I like to use one bag chocolate and one bag peanut butter)
1 tsp salt
3 oz Hershey's bar, frozen

Put flour and oatmeal in batches in the blender, processing until powderlike. Do the same to the frozen Hershey's bar. (Do the flour and oatmeal FIRST.)
Mix butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a VERY LARGE bowl. Combine dry ingredients and chopped chocolate bar. Add to mixing bowl and mix well. Stir in chips. Bake on ungreased sheets at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
OK, now, you need a very large bowl and a super-powerful mixer if you want to use an electric mixer. I have a big, deep dough mixer, the hand-crank kind. I use this, and it is a hard, tough job to get this batch mixed! I did it on Saturday so dh could help me mix. We burned off a few calories just with the mixing, let alone the running around with cookie sheets. LOL

1 comment:

Montserrat said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! Love the Santa driving the John Deere tractor too.